Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Living Better With Less... Negative Thoughts


(image courtesy of carlos e gomez flickr page)

Before becoming a professional organizer, I had a job I didn't exactly love. One nice thing was the walk to the office which unfortunately turned into a moaning session about anything I happened to be upset about at the time (like having a job I didn't love), until one day I told myself to shut up and name 10 things I was grateful for. It was not something I had ever really done and it starting out a bit superficial, like "I'm grateful it's not raining", but soon became my morning ritual, and now is used whenever I find myself needing a little perspective.

The norm seems to be to focus on what we don't have, but we need to take the time to be grateful for what we do have. What are you grateful for today?

4 comments:

Gina said...

I'm in your shoes with the job I don't love, and I thank you for this exercise in staying focused and staying positive. I'm thankful that I'm healthy. I'm thankful for more, but that feels like the most important thing!

jennie said...

i love you, sister. this is a fantastic post. i'm thankful for you, your brother, our other brothers, sisters, kitties, moms, babies + then some. xo

Raena said...

Awesome post! I do the same type of rituals on my way to work. It keeps me positive and motivated. Thanks for sharing! :)

sarah said...

Oh I love that idea. I'm thankful for my baby, husband, family, cats, job, apartment, vacations, morning tea, new cleaning lady + I'm thankful that Jennie's thankful for kitties.